Shanghai Bok Choy with Ginger
I got this from my online friend, Serena, whose family is from the Shanghai region of China.
Baby bok choy is about 5 to 7 inches long and has a delicate, sweet flavor. Most common is the Shanghai variety, which is pale green and has spoon-shaped stems.
Guna - Satva
- 1 (2-inch) piece ginger, peeled
- 3/4 lb Shanghai bok choy or other baby bok choy (5 to 8 heads)
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Chinese rice wine (preferably Shaoxing) or medium-dry Sherry.
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- Cut half of ginger into very fine matchsticks (less than 1/8 inch thick; about 1 tablespoon) and reserve.
- Grate remaining ginger and squeeze pulp with your fingers to yield 1 teaspoon liquid, then discard pulp.
- Remove any bruised or withered outer leaves from bok choy.
- Trim 1/8 inch from bottom of each bok choy, then cut each head into quarters.
- Wash bok choy in several changes of cold water and dry in a colander until dry to the touch.
- Whisk together ginger juice, chicken broth, rice wine, soy sauce, cornstarch, salt, and sugar in a small bowl until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Heat wok over high heat until a bead of water vaporizes within 1 to 2 seconds of contact.
- Pour oil down side of wok, then swirl oil, tilting wok to coat sides.
- Add ginger matchsticks and stir-fry 5 seconds.
- Add bok choy and stir-fry until leaves are bright green and just limp, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir broth mixture, then pour into wok and stir-fry until vegetables are crisp-tender and sauce is slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and drizzle with sesame oil, then stir to coat.
Yield: 4 servings
Back to Recipe
Copyright 2012 by Elizabeth Harper
- Serve over steamed white rice
All Rights Reserved
No part of this page may be copied as a whole or in part, except in brief
citations under the "Fair Use" provision of US and International Copyright Law
without written permission of the author.