Meat, Fish, or Chicken Loaf
This is a basic recipe for meat loaf, with assorted variations. It is a simple dish, cooked in the oven, suitable as a means to use leftovers of almost any type.
This can be a vegetarian dish also, if tofu is used instead of meat.
Guna - tamas, perhaps with some rajas, depending on spices.
- 1 lb ground meat
- 1 cup bread crumbs, cracker crumbs, or 3/4 cup oatmeal or corn meal
- 1 onion
- 1 egg
- 1 can tomatoes, tomato sauce, or 1-2 fresh tomatoes
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp salt, to taste (optional)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2-3 tbs worchestershire sauce
- catsup to taste
- 1/3 cup grated cheese (optional)
- Spices (see below)
||Chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, oregano, garlic
||Oregano, basil, garlic
||Rosemary, thyme, dill
||Sage, dill, garlic, red pepper
||Curry, garlic, cinnamon, turmeric, garam masala (hint)
- Substitute ground chicken or turkey for ground meat
- Substitute turkey or pork sausage for ground meat
- Substitute 1 can salmon, mackrel, or 2 cans tuna for ground meat
- Instead of placing in loaf pan, stuff into green bell peppers, seeded and rinsed. Place these in 1 inch water in baking pan and bake as below.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Oil pan well
- Mix all ingredients well in bowl
- Spread evenly in pan
- Cover with catsup or cheese
- Place in center rack of hot oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
Yield: 4-6 servings
Back to Recipe
Copyright 2004, 2005, 2006 by Elizabeth Harper
- Serve hot, with green and yellow vegetables on side, with salad as appetizer, if desired.
- Refrigerates, freezes, and re-heats in oven or microwave well.
All Rights Reserved
No part of this page may be copied as a whole or in part, except in brief
citations under the "Fair Use" provision of US and International Copyright Law
without written permission of the author.