Bacon Mac & Blue Cheese, Mushroom, and Bacon
This was adapted from a similarly-titled recipe in the 2012 Old Farmer's Almanac - page 46. I adapted it based on what I had on hand, what spices I like, and changed the cooking directions to minimize use of dishes in preparation.
Guna - Tamas
- 12 oz dried macaroni (rotini), cooked
- 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 - 4 oz cans of mushrooms
- 2 tbs all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups half and half
- 8 oz grated Mexican-style or cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 lb crumbled blue cheese
- 6 strips crisp-cooked bacon, crumbled and divided
- 1 1/2 cup Italian-style croutons (optional)
- Fry bacon until crisp in 14" cast-iron skillet. Remove to plate.
- Pour off bacon grease, leaving approximately 3 tbs in skillet.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Saute the mushrooms 4-5 minutes, partially covered, over medium heat. Uncover and cook until most of the liquid is gone.
- Stir in the flour.
- Cook for 1 minute over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Whisk or stir in the half and half, in two batches. Cook, whisking often, until it thickens.
- Add the Mexican or cheddar cheese, half at a time, whisking or stirring frequently until it melts.
- Whisk or stir in half of the bacon and blue cheese crumbles.
- Remove from heat.
- Add cooked macaroni. Stir well. Smooth top.
- Crush croutons in plastic bag, and sprinkle over top.
- Bake 25 minutes or until bubbly.
Yield: About 6 servings
Back to Recipe
Copyright 2012 by Elizabeth Harper
- Garnish with remaining bacon crumbles.
- Serve hot
All Rights Reserved
No part of this page may be copied as a whole or in part, except in brief
citations under the "Fair Use" provision of US and International Copyright Law
without written permission of the author.