This recipe, and its variants, are recipes which one of my aunts used to prepare when I was a small child through my teenage years.
Guna - tamas
- 1 cup beans. These may be one or more of the following:
- Kidney beans
- Northern beans
- Pinto beans
- Navy beans
- 4-6 strips bacon OR 2-3 hot dogs, sliced into 1/4 inch thick pieces
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons catsup
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon powdered garlic, or 2 garlic cloves
- Boil the beans with 4 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Drain.
- Alternately, use 2 cans of prepared beans of any combination of red beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, northern beans, and/or navy beans.
- Mix beans, onion, garlic, sugar, molasses, mustard, and catsup
- Pour bean mixture into 9x13" baking dish
- Place bacon strips or hot dog pieces over top
Yield: 6 servings as main course
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Bake for 45 minutes, until top is brown
- Serve hot, alone or with hot dogs, hamburgers, slaw, and beets or green beans