This is a traditional Eastern European or Eastern-European-Jewish recipe.
It involves a cheese filling wrapped in crepe-like wrappers, usually topped with preserves or jam.
Guna - Satva
- Crepe batter
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sifted flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cheese filling
- 4 oz regular cream cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 pound dry-curd cottage
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Beat eggs, oil, and milk in mixing bowl.
- Add flour and salt,
- Beat by hand 3 minutes until very smooth.
- Chill 30 minutes; it should be like heavy cream. If too thick, add a little milk.
- Grease 8-inch hot skillet with light coating of butter.
- Pour 3 to 4 Tablespoons batter into the skillet, turning pan to coat it.
- Fry lightly on one side.
- Remove, and place on top of waxed paper, brown side up.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Set crepes aside
- Beat filling ingredients together until smooth.
- Fill each crepe with 2 heaping Tablespoons of filling
- Roll up like egg roll or burrito by folding in ends, then rolling crepe over filling.
- May be frozen at this point
- Melt 2 Tablespoons butter over medium heat in large skillet.
- Fry crepes until golden brown on all sides.
- Remove to serving plates
- Top with your favorite preserves, jam, jelly, or sour cream
- Serve warm