I found the recipe for "Oh So Fluffy" pancakes, which this is based on, in Sourdough A to Z by Wardeh Harmon and Erin Vander. Many other sourdough recipes, instructions for starting and caring for a sourdough starter may be found on their website at Gnowfglins Traditional Cooking School. I started my starter using the DIY directions at Mike's Bread Shop. That page also has suggestions for purchasing or otherwise obtaining a ready-to-go starter.
Guna - Variable
- 2 cups Sourdough Starter
- 1 tbs olive or corn oil
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 egg
- herbs, extracts, or flavorings to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup water
Any of the following
- 1 cup chopped, pureed, or dried fruit.
- 1-2 tbs sugar, honey, maple syrup or sucralose (artificial sweetener)
- Spices, such as cardimom, cloves, allspice, ginger
- Extracts, such as vanilla, anise, mint, almond
- Chopped nuts
- 1 cup chopped cooked meat
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon or 1 clove garlic
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 lb Taco Meat
- 1 cup refried beans
- Cooked Breakfast Sausage
- Cooked bacon
- Scrambled eggs
- Shredded cheese
- Try adding cocoa and extra sugar or sugar substitute to sweeten.
- Add carob powder and extra sweetner.
- Add nuts
- After it's cooked, add cool topings, such as lettuce, whipped topping. fresh fruit, or fried, scrambled, or poached eggs.
- Any set of toppings that you might use on a pizza or omlett will work here.
- Add corn meal instead of flour for Southwestern or Mexican variants.
I prefer to make this in a 14 inch cast iron skillet. You may make it in any pan which is about 45-50 square inches. Larger or smaller pans may also be used, but quantities will need to be adjusted accordingly.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Grease bottom and sides of cast iron skillet or other pan.
- Put on burner, and set on low heat.
- Mix together oil, egg, salt, sweetner (if using), and spices.
- Add sourdough starter
- Mix water and baking soda
- Add flour or water or milk to make the texture that of a pancake batter.
- swirl in the water and baking soda mixture rapidly.
- Pour entire batter, and desired fillings into hot pan or iron skillet.
- Place in preheated oven (350 degrees).
- Bake for 30 minutes, until lightly browned.
Cut with pizza cutter into 6 slices.
Serve hot. Top with syrup, honey, powdered sugar for a fruit Bohemian Baby. Top with lettuce or salsa or other condiments if preferred on hearty, Southwestern, breakfast, or Mexican variants. Top with other condiments if you prefer.