Deluxe Garbanzo Bean Salad
The basic recipe for this salad came from a Goya garbanzo bean can. I modified this recipe based on what I had around that I needed to use up, which made for the addition of many additional vegetables with the substitution of mild chili peppers for bell peppers, and whole wheat pasta. When I tasted for spices, to me, "obviously" more things were required, plus additional amounts of spices, oil and vinegar to adequately coat the additional ingredients. I only use olive oil in this for the inclusion of more monosaturated fats, which are said to increase the amount of HDL or "good" cholesterol. I am calling this the "deluxe" version of that basic salad.
Guna - Satva
- 1 15-oz can garbanzo beans
- 1 cup whole wheat macaroni
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 anheim chili pepper
- 1 poblano chili pepper
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 medium onion, or 1 large sweet onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 teaspoon powdered garlic
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 pinch garam masala (optional)
- 3 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 dash Tabasco or other hot sauce
- Salt to taste (optional)
Yield: 6 Servings
- Prepare macaroni according to package directions. Boil until just "al dente", then drain in colander and rinse thoroughly until cool.
- Drain garbanzo beans and rinse thoroughly.
- Chop all vegetables, seeding or scraping as appropriate.
- In large mixing bowl with cover, combine vinegar, olive oil, hot sauce, and all spices.
- Add vegetables, garbanzo beans
- Mix well.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve in bowls at the start of a complete dinner
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Harper
All Rights Reserved
No part of this page may be copied as a whole or in part, except in brief
citations under the "Fair Use" provision of US and International Copyright Law
without written permission of the author.