This is a southern recipe. I originally heard it talked about by a friend from North Carolina, and subsequently found discussions of it in several books. My recipe is a "best of" from several of these.
Guna - Sattva
- 10 oz package frozen greens, or equivalent fresh, of any type, or any combination, including the following:
- Mustard greens
- Dandelion greens
- Turnip greens
- Collard greens
- 1/8 tsp red pepper
- 1/3 cup quick grits
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbs grated cheddar cheese
- Cook greens according to package directions, or rinse and steam if using fresh greens
- Meanwhile, boil the water with optional salt. Add grits, and cook until thick and soft.
- Whisk in 1/4 cup cheddar cheese.
- Pour cooked greens into greased loaf pan.
- Cover with grits and cheese mixture
- Top with 2 tbs grated cheddar cheese
- Pop under preheated broiler until cheese is melted and bubbly, approximately 3 minutes.