Photo courtesy of Kami Stafford
Sourdough Pizza Crust
Guna - Tamas
- 1 1/2 cups Sourdough Starter
- 1/2 cup whole wheat or all-purpose flour
- 2 tbs olive oil
Note that using sourdough is all about waiting. The dough made above probably will not have risen much in an hour. Proceed anyway.
I prefer making this in a 14 inch cast iron skillet. Any baking pan that is roughly 45 square inches will suffice.
- Mix all ingredients. Add more water or flour if necessary to make a workable dough.
- Allow to set and rise 30-60 minutes.
- Grease skillet with olive oil, leaving a significant amount on your hands.
- Press dough from above into pan. It should be between 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick. It does not have to be perfectly even.
- Preheat oven to 520F degrees. If it will not turn that hot, 450F will work, but cooking time will need to be increased.
- Put crust, in the cast iron skillet (or other pan) in very hot oven.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, until it starts to brown slightly, and crust becomes "puffy".
- Top with sauce, desired pizza toppings, and mozzerella cheese, and parmesian cheese. Bake at 475F until browned.
- Top with 1 can Herdez (TM) Salsa Ranchera, 1 lb fajita vegetables, 3/4 lb cooked beef, pork, or chicken (may be leftover). Bake at 475F 5-10 minutes until the vegetables are just starting to toast.
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Harper
All Rights Reserved
No part of this page may be copied as a whole or in part, except in brief
citations under the "Fair Use" provision of US and International Copyright Law
without written permission of the author.