Parsnips are quite plentiful in my area, especially in the fall. This recipe, modified from standard recipes for carrots vichy, has shown itself to be easy, tasty, and popular even among people who generally say they don't like vegetables.
Guna - Satva
- 1 pound parsnips
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pinch cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- Diagonally cut parsnips into 1/8-inch-thick slices.
- Simmer parsnips for 20-30 minutes, until "crunchy" done.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan combine butter, spices, water, and sugar.
- Bring to simmer.
- Add "crunchy" parsnips
- Simmer covered, over low heat, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 15 minutes.
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
Back to Recipe
Copyright 2012 by Elizabeth Harper
All Rights Reserved
No part of this page may be copied as a whole or in part, except in brief
citations under the "Fair Use" provision of US and International Copyright Law
without written permission of the author.