- 4 cups beans or lentils of any type. It can be a mixture.
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1-4 tablespoons hot or red madras curry powder, to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 cups water
- 1-2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1-4 clove garlic
- Vegetables of any type, optional
Notes & Discussion
- This makes a large soup pot of soup.
- Split lentils or split mung beans are found in Indian grocery stores, or online. These make the cooking time very short.
- You may use any type of beans, or a combination.
- Ghee is a highly-clarified butter used in Indian cooking. It is also available from Indian and organic food stores. It can be made at home by melting the butter, skimming off the white impurities, cooking for 45 minutes, cooling, straining, and placing in a jar.
- In large soup pot, add beans or lentils to water.
- Add salt and spices.
- Finely chop onions.
- Press or finely chop garlic.
- Simmer for 45 minutes if using split beans or lentils, or a few hours if using whole beans or lentils.
- Stir occasionally
- Put ghee or vegetable oil in skillet. Add finely-chopped onions and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until the onions are slightly brown.
- Remove from heat.
- Add this to beans, and stir some more.
- Add vegetables.
- Continue stirring over low heat until simmering and vegetables have reached desired doneness.
- Serve hot, with home made bread.
- May be refrigerated or frozen.
- Reheats well in microwave or stovetop.